Neck and shoulder pain is a common medical condition. They can be classified in different ways. Some people complain about only shoulder pain or neck pain whereas others experienced pain in both areas. Main causes of neck pain include trauma, poor posture, abnormalities in the bone or joints, tumors, degenerative diseases and muscle strain.
Common causes of shoulder pain are strains from overexertion, shoulder joint instability, tendonitis from overuse, dislocation, collar or upper arm bone fractures, frozen shoulder, pinched nerves (also called radiculopathy).
Symptoms and signs of shoulder and neck pain:
Symptoms and signs of shoulder and neck pain vary from patients to patients. Here are some common systems and symbols.
- Weakness: If you have severe neck or shoulder pain from bone to muscle, you can also feel weakness. The nerves or muscle can also damage. So, it’s important to distinguish whether the weakness is due to muscle or nerve damage. And why the damaged has occurred.
- Pain: People may suffer from sharp pain. But, they also complain about burning, shock-like, crampy, or stabbing. They can have stiffness in beck and shoulder which may lead to loss of motion. Besides, people also experience a headache.
- Numbness: Numbness is another sign of neck and shoulder pain. If your nerves are bruised, pinched or cut, you will be unable to feel things usually. You will experience tingling or burning, loss of sensation, or a changed sensation like to having your arm “fall asleep.”
- Swelling: Swelling is another symptom of severe neck and shoulder pain. This may occur at the affected area. In this case, muscle spasms or tightness simulates actual swelling.
- Change Color: In some cases, people also face the problem of colors changes on their arm or neck. When it happens, it means the arteries or veins are injured. If the color is red, then it indicates the sign of infection or inflammation.
Treatment for neck and shoulder pain
Doctors treat neck and shoulder pain in both surgical and non-surgical way. However, physiotherapy is people’s favorite treatment option. It is done before or after the surgery. If you are having pain in your neck and shoulder and don’t want to get a surgery, then meet physiotherapists. Even if the pain is due to your past operation, then again the physiotherapists can provide you with the treatment.
Here is a list of non-surgical problems for which you can get the therapy for neck and shoulder pain:
- Neck arthritis
- Disc herniations
- Spinal stenosis
- Muscle strain/sprain
- Facet dysfunction
Apart from that, the post-surgical problem comprises discectomy, laminectomy, spinal fusion, and disc replacement. Physiotherapy treatment for these problems is an ideal option.
Why a Therapist?
A physical therapist can help you get rid of your neck pain and shoulder pain. What’s more, you will have the opportunity to stretch and strengthen your neck, stand properly. You will also learn how what exercises are helpful. With regular exercise, you will prevent the pain from coming back. Therapy is believed to have the best option to treat neck pain or shoulder pain. It not just provides relief but also trains and teaches some techniques to stop re-injury and avoid neck pain further.
Before starting treatment, physiotherapists ask specific questions to patients for figuring out the scope of the problem. The questions are usually related to lifestyle and medical history. The physiotherapists also consult your family doctors if a disease or major trauma cause the pain.
Once the physical physiotherapist makes sure the cause of the pain, he/she can create a treatment plan to help relieve your neck pain.
To conclude, if you are having severe neck or shoulder pain, meet physiotherapists. You can find them online.